My Contemporary Graphic Design module was a part of my Major Practical Project so this evaluation will reflect both as a whole project.
Firstly I have learnt a lot form this assignment as well as expanding my current knowledge. I discovered there was a lot more to ‘branding’ and their guidelines then I could of imagined. This has certainty opened up a new path for me as I have the knowledge to go into a branding career. Leaflet design was another new experienced for me as although it sounds easy it does take skill and a lot of thought how it functions and works. Adverting campaigns was a skill that I was already familiar with but with this assignment I could broaden my knowledge about what I am most passionate about, communicating a message in a creative manor.
Throughout this project I have faced many problems including working with a client. Sadly it didn’t work out and communication broke down between us however I have learnt a lot from this experience and feel this experience has benefited me a lot in many ways.
Despite my set backs I still carried on the project with a passion to create something visually exciting and creative. I did a lot of experimentation throughout the project but especially with the branding. I used paint and created paper cut outs to try and achieve different effects. As the project went on I decided to step away from this a started to create the branding based around the building the charity was housed in which was a beautiful church.
I was lucky to be able to print my whole project at a printers shop when it was closed so I had access to everything. I learnt a lot from the printing processes and what could be printed double sided and what printers couldn’t handle certain paper. This didn’t hold me back but instead I had to change my design to suit the printing methods. This will help me in future to find out what the printers can achieve for me before I complete my design.
Overall I am very pleased with the outcome I have produced and I feel it would be an excellent piece in my portfolio. I have learnt and gained a lot form this experience and hopefully it will help me within my future career and achieve my goals as a creative designer.
These are the strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats for my Contemporary Graphic Design Project.
- I have created something visually exciting and creative while incorporating the brand guidelines.
- I have learnt about the print production which includes saving to print, paper print sizes and how the printing would work for my designs.
- This project has increased my knowledge in advertising campaigns and leaflets to print.
- I feel my experimentation with the designs has been strong and has helped me develop my final to a high standard.
- I could have been more organized at times.
- My leaflet design could potentially confuse the elderly generation.
- I have created a good portfolio piece that I am proud to show to future employers.
- I will start applying for jobs in the advertising industry now I have gained the knowledge by creating my own advertising campaign, leaflet and brand guidelines.
- There are many good charity leaflets and this could overshadow mine.
- If this was to be used for the charity they will have to consider the printing costs.
Printing the final design was hard work as I kept having to reprint on different paper and at different sizes to get the folds of the design to work properly. So many adjustments had to take place. Over all I am very pleased with the outcome and have gained a lot of knowledge from this experience.
This is the final design for the information side of the leaflet. Over all I am very pleased with the outcome as its bright, attractive and creative.This is the final poster design for the back of the information side. I wanted to create something simple but fun that people can put up in their homes.
These are my final designs for my charity advertising campaign. I wanted them to be colourful, cheerful and stand out for positive reasons while promoting activities the charity has to offer.
This is the first digital development of my advertising campaign . I decided to go with the typography idea however I need to develop these further.
I want to create a set of three posters that all relate to each other. I want to advertise the services and the new look of the charity in a fun and positive way.
I want to experiment with typography as I feel this could be an effective medium to use as it communicates very a message effectively when done well. I will obviously use the brand colours of the charity to contain the corporate identity and I will also use the logo.